In partnership with Basketball Nova Scotia and their initiative to provide an opportunity for all youth to have a chance to play basketball this season, the Metro Basketball Association is opening registration to its current member clubs for an 18U division. Players and coaches interested in participating should contact their local basketball club, a list of contacts for each club can be found HERE
Registration Deadline: Thursday, December 29, 2016
18U AA & AAA Basketball League
1. The Metro Basketball Association (MBA) will operate a 18U AA and AAA league for both boys and girls in the Metro area.
a. Players must not have turned 19 prior to October 1st of the current season (2016).
2. This league has the support of BNS.
3. The league will run on Sundays for 6 to 8 weeks beginning on January 8th, 2016.
a. Game Dates: Jan. 8, Jan. 15, Jan. 22, Jan. 29, Feb. 5, Feb. 12, Feb. 19, Feb. 26.
4. Team registration will be through one of the existing clubs. Contact information for those clubs can be found on our website under Contact Us > Club contacts. Entire teams may register but must be done through one of our current clubs.
5. Minimum 4 teams per division.
6. Teams already participating in the league may not add players to rosters.
7. Minimum of 7 players per team and maximum of 15 players per team.
8. All teams must have a coach.
9. All games will be governed by the MBA’s current rules of play for the U18 Division with the following exceptions:
a. Rule 4.4 - In Under 14, Under 16 and Under 18 age classes, if a team is ahead by 25 points or more, the leading team shall no longer be permitted to employ full court pressure defence of any kind. Will be struck (not applied).
b. Games will play four 10 minute quarters with a 10 minute half time and a 2 minute quarter break.
c. Rule 9.5 through and including 9.12 will be struck (not applied). No call up players permitted.Games will play four 10 minute quarters with a 10 minute half time and a 2 minute quarter break.
d. A team will be permitted to have possession of the ball in the teams backcourt for 8 seconds prior to crossing the midcourt line (FIBA rule).
e. The shot clock in MBA games will be of 24 seconds duration (FIBA rule).
f. Should the game end in a tie, 5 minute over time periods until winner determined.
g. Rule 13 will be struck.
10. Based on 16 teams (4 teams per division) the budget to run the additional league would be as follows. Divisions will not be capped at the 4 teams, that is just simply used for budgeting purposes.
a. Team fee: $1450/team
b. Included BNS membership/insurance