How do Call Ups Work?
Number of Players / Call-ups
- In the Under 14, Under 16, and Under 18 age classes each team must have a minimum of 5 players present for the start of the game.
- In the Under 12 age class, each team must have a minimum of 8 players for an official game. A team may start a game with 5 players however the all 8 players must play by the fifth shift or the game shall be ruled as a default.
- In the Under 10 Developmental age class teams are required to register a minimum of 8 players for a team to be accepted into the league.
- In the Under 10 Developmental age class, each team must have a minimum of 6 players for an official game. A team may start a game with 4 players however all 6 players must play by the fifth shift or the game shall be ruled as a default.
- Subject to Rules 9.6 to 9.9, players may be called up when a coach knows or suspects that they may be in a forfeiture position for an upcoming game.
- A player may be called up from any team with the same club in a lower division or age class. Lateral call-ups are not permitted with exception of: In Under 10 Developmental; In the lower levels (4, 5, etc.) of Under 12. Lateral call-ups will only be permitted if the opposing coach is informed before the game begins and agrees to the lateral move.
- Any one player can only be called up twice (2) to a specific team. Upon being called up a third time, the player will be required to stay on the higher level team.
- In the Under 14, Under 16, and Under 18 age classes only enough players can be called up to make a total of 8 players for a game.
- In the Under 12 and Under 10 Developmental age classes the coach can call up enough players to bring the team total for that game to a maximum of 10.
- To add a player as a call-up at game time, the coach must:
- Advise the scorekeeper that a player from a lower level within your club will be playing as a "Call-up";
- Present name(s) and number(s) to the scorekeeper;
- Advise the other coach of the call-up.
- A call-up player must be registered with the same club for play in the Metro Basketball Association or in a Basketball Nova Scotia registered Small Ball or Steve Nash program.
- If a player is found to be a "Call-down" (Player from a higher division or older age class), the game will be forfeited and coach will face disciplinary action.